modprobe.conf question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 7 22:31:35 UTC 2006

Greetings;

This is lengthy, but I'm trying to put all the info I know about in one
message.

I now have the extra sound card installed, and working for some things
like xmms & tvtime.

I trashed the SBLIve 24 bitter that alsa-1.0.3 didn't know about and put
in a 5+ year old SBLive Value card.  It's all showing up in kmix more
or less ok.

Now my question is that how do I go about making sure that when I
reboot, the sound-card-0 and sound-card-1 aliases in modprobe.conf are
configured such that sound-card-0 is always the nforce ac97 stuff,
called apparently intel-8x0 or some such, and that the sound-card-1
assignment is always the emu10k1 and its ilk?

My modprobe.conf regarding this is currently:

%%%%%%this one obviously needs to become snd-card-1 for instance
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
%%%%%%but which 0 do I make a 1 to reassign this stuff?
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
# alias snd-card-1 snd-card-1
# alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
# alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
# alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias char-major-116-* snd
alias char-major-14-* sound
install synth0 /bin/true

A couple of lspci -vv snips showing the sound stuffs

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97
Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp: Unknown device 8201
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0 (500ns min, 1250ns max)
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
        Region 0: I/O ports at b000
        Region 1: I/O ports at b400 [size=128]
        Region 2: Memory at ed001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=4K]
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev
04)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs CT4850 SBLive! Value
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

01:08.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port
(rev 01)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs Gameport Joystick
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

I want to use the nforce2 ac97 stuff for Skype & the SBLive for
everything else, so make your recommendations with this in mind please.

Any and all help gratefully accepted.  Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: