.forward file seems to be ignored

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 7 23:56:37 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 20:25 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> At least now you should get a big fat warning and complaint in your
> maillog about the permissions of the .forward file. 'chmod
> 640 .forward' it. "/home" is hopefully `chmod 755' and not more (not
> world writable).

It does seem odd, to me, that many files in our home directories default
to being "-rwxrw-rw-".  Surely making things readable, by default, to
anyone is a bad idea?  You're relying on parent directory permissions to
protect you from snooping; and sometimes they're not brilliantly set,
either.  I'd have thought it best to start off with "-rwx------", and
let people add permissions when they're necessary.

I read messages from the public lists.