sound card recommendations

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jan 8 14:01:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 06:55 +0100, Vassilios Kotoulas wrote:
> Consider an external USB device. They sound better than many internal
> cards because inside a computer there ist a lot of EM radiation which
> influences the sound quality.

I'd say noise on the sound is due more to other things than "EM
radiation", such as:  Hash on the power supply, which can still affect a
USB device if it doesn't adequately filter the supply.  And using a
common signal earth between audio and other things, which can still
affect a USB device.  Not to mention the processes that generate audio
being interrupted by whatever else the computer is doing.

I eliminated most noises on the sound using the simplest of methods:  A
couple of audio transformers between the sound card and what I plug into
it.  It electrically isolates them.  You can get such things, on the
cheap, from many retailers which sell car audio products.

I read messages from the public lists.