FC4 - Eclipse problem

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Jan 8 21:41:44 UTC 2006

--------------------------------------^^^^^^
I note that you are using a 64bit system?  Are you attemping to
run Eclipse in a 64bit environment?  If this is the case, then
I suggest that you subscribe to the fedora-java newsgroup as there
are developer discussions/issues with 64bit architectures regarding
Eclipse.  Off the top of my head - make sure that you are using the
correct libraries - I think that was the suggestions from others
complaining about Eclipse not working.

I am in a 32bit environment and dont have a 64bit system in my employ.

>NL=en_US
>Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch
>x86_64
>
>!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2006-01-07 13:04:46.285
>!MESSAGE Application error
>!STACK 1
>java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
>/home/hoffmann/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.1.1/configuratio
>n/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/138/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk-3139.so:
>/home/hoffmann/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.1.1/configuratio
>n/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/138/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk-3139.so:
>cannot open shared object file: No such file or
>directory
>        at
>java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native
>Method)
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown
>Source)
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown
>Source)
>        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown
>Source)
>        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown
>Source)
>        at
>org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:123)
>        at
>org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.<clinit>(OS.java:19)
>        at
>org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:63)
>        at
>org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:54)
>        at
>org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:122)
>
>After checking that file out, I realized that probably
>the problem is that Eclipse "cannot see" Java 5. [Yes,
>I upgraded Java to the last version].
>
>Does you or anyone know how to fix that?
>
>Thanks!
>Hoffmann

As for http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html#Java,
I used the installation of Sun 1.50 using the jpackage pathway
and not the /opt and have gotten Eclipse to work with the *original*
distro with Eclipse v3.1 port. But even so, I downloaded and installed
the J2EE (WST 1.0) feature and got this somewhat working, the perpective
J2EE works, all the bells and whistles appears but the problem is that
the Tomcat and other JAS servers fluttered badly in the wind and just
flat out does not work.  I complained bitterly about this and of course
FCG got defensive about it - and to be fair - the same problem directly
from the eclipse.org group has the same problem on FC4 but not on Windows
so the problem appears to be the WST package not working under FC4.  Bugs
galore are in the eclipse bugzilla and are being worked on (I hope)

Now, I updated Eclipse port v3.1.1 on FC4 and *knock-knock on wood* it
runs however - all the stuff I downloaded (updates) were stripped and the
features (as WST) was stripped.  So expect a FULL NEW installation!  So
I updated everything I could.  At least in this version, the updates worked
where in v3.1 it worked half-assed. :-o

When I started up Eclipse v3.1.1, all of a sudden - my previous J2EE perspective
fluttered badly - and was no longer supported - sigh - so my thought was to
see if I can add the WST 1.0 feature back into the /usr/share/eclipse directory.

Ahh... dang.... untarring/unzipping the wst-1.0 (root=eclipse) into /usr/share
added the wst files in feature and plugins directories but then nothing
happens at all.  So using the Help->Software Updates->Manage Configuration,
clicking 'Show disabled Features', scrolling to 'Web Standard Tools Features 1.0'
and attempting to enable it will result: 'Requested operation cannot be performed
because it would invalidate the current configuration. See details for more
information' - the details says: 'This site is not updatable: /usr/share/eclipse'

It appears the fedora-port somehow prevents these new 'features'
from being enabled.  Seems that Eclipse under Fedora is now controlled
by Fedora and we are at the mercy of Fedora developers to come through
for us and we cannot simply use Eclipse.org's version unless you install
it completely standalone in the /usr/local directory as I have.

This fedora-port excercise seems to be an attempt to stray from
the original Eclipse.org source all in the name of trying to nativetize
(non-bytecode) Eclipse - and I fear that you can no longer expect to easily
download desired eclipse feature files from the Eclipse.org source and expect
it to run/work as is without jumping through hoops to get these features
to work 'the fedora way'.  I hope that my fears are unfounded...

At this time, there is no possible way for me to activate the wst 1.0 feature
under Fedora's Eclipse 3.1.1 native port so that means I cannot get the J2EE
features to work at all.

I wonder where to go to find out what the heck the fedora-eclipse plans are
and what exactly what we can do or cannot not do with their native porting of
of eclipse and how to incorporate any eclipse.org features under their port.

Seems the places go to so far are: fedora-java newsgroup (which is almost
inactive or a very slow newsgroup), eclipse.org's newsgroups and just maybe
the jpackage's "newsgroup" if there is one.

Dan