.forward file seems to be ignored

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Jan 9 00:27:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Paul Smith wrote:

>>> The permissions are:
>>>
>>> drwx------  103 psmith   psmith   4096 Jan  7 16:49 psmith
>>> -rw-rw-r--  1 psmith psmith 18 Jan  7 14:57 .forward
>>>
>>> Are they appropriate?
>>
>> Your homedir must have *at least* x for others(all?), else processes not
>> owned by you (ie, mailer) can't even read your .forward file.
>
> Now I have:
>
> drwx--x--x  103 psmith   psmith   4096 Jan  7 18:42 psmith
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 psmith psmith 18 Jan  7 14:57 .forward
>
> but no progress. Is there some alternative way (instead of using a
> .forward file) of redirecting all mail?

You're getting colder...

Your maillog will tell you that  the permissions on .forward are too
generous.  Put your homedir permission back the way they were (700)
and make .forward 600.

For security reasons, sendmail insists that all .forward and its parent
directory be marked *not* group writable.  It is possible to override this
restriction using the DontBlameSendmail keyword in the configuration, but
don't.  (See http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html, Q3.33 or just read
the README in the sendmail docs.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman