strange modem problem!

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 15:26:28 UTC 2006

OK, so after months of investigation, I am not clear what is going on, and
being an academic, would like some help in getting tips on what to look
for....I am running FC4, with the latest kernel.

So, I have this DSL modem which I bought online some three months ago: it is an
Actiontec GT-701 WG. All works fine, except that I can not get the following to
work:

(1) Gaim on Yahoo!, MSN, AOL -- it does not connect.

(2) Yum never connects, unless I disable specifically, all the repos using the
--disablerepo option.

(3) The name of the machine is xxx.yyy.zzz.edu and if I want to connect to
aaa.yyy.zzz.edu, I have to type the whole domain address. So, just ssh aaa will
not work.

The funny thing is that each of this works when I use another connection. Each
and everything works flawlessly. So, my guess is that the problem is with the
modem settings. Can someone please guide me as to where to to look for things
and what to look for? I am not very familiar with networking issues, but am
always open to learning....

If you need more information, please feel free to ask!

Many thanks and best wishes!