JDK confusion

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 16:50:27 UTC 2006

On 1/9/06, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> rwhart at mchsi.com wrote:
> > Thanks guys,
> >   First, I downloaded the sun rpm, and it installed in /usr/java/jdk....
>
> You'll probably find the Sun rpm gets uninstalled mysteriously since it
> has dependencies incompatible with the way all the other Fedora repos
> work. That's why the FC4 release notes advise against installing the Sun
> RPM.

This is absolutely correct.  There are "provides" conflicts between
the Fedora gcj package and Sun's java RPM.  When I say the default
installation location is /opt, I should be clear in saying that it's
the Sun .tar.gz that installs there (and is the method recommended by
the JPackage folks if you don't want to use their software).

When you install the Sun package, make sure you do so as root and that
X is accessible as the package brings up an X based installer where
you agree to licensing terms, set the installation location (default
of /opt) and get some progress bars.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."