unbelievably stupid mistake - i broke /usr/lib need help

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jan 9 18:10:38 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 13:19 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>The first thing I usually do is make an aliases for rm, cp and mv to
>>ask for confirmation.
>>
>>alias rm='rm -i'
>>alias cp='cp -i --backup=t'
>>alias mv='mv -i --backup=t'
>

> I think this is bad practice. When you have this setup, you can get in
> the habit of rm etc. asking about deletions, which can lead to the habit
> of not listing carefully on the command line the list of items to be
> deleted. This can then be a problem if you're using a system on which
> this alias isn't present, or if an error has been made further up the
> ~/.bashrc (or wherever) causing the alias not to be set - the
> confirmation prompts don't happen and by the time you've realised what's
> happened it can be too late.
>
> Paul.

I partially agree.  But sometimes the tools are useful for what I do.
  I do allot of file moves with CLI and these work out best for me.

Hey, I think I will write myself a root rm script that actually takes
the file and moves it to a trash directory instead of removing it.
This may be the best option.  Now to find the time.  :)