JDK confusion - Final Questions

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jan 9 21:30:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 20:26 +0000, rwhart at mchsi.com wrote:
> So, my take as a newbie is: (easy way)
>   1.  Use the tarball and install in /opt
>   2.  set up my own $JAVA_HOME in /etc/profile
>   3.  add /opt/jdk1.5.0_06/jre/bin to $PATH
>
> optional:
>   1.  Download the sun jdk and try to make my own rpm.  I say this as I do not
> see any evidence of a jdk1.5+ on the list on the left side of jpackage.org
> except for those in the "non-free" section.

"java-1.5.0-sun" is the one you want.

> All-in-all, I think the tarball
> route is easier and cleaner for a newbie unless there is really something big
> this is slipping right by me.

As always, well-made RPMs handle deps and uninstalls much better. The
JPackage RPMs also fit in with the "alternatives" system used in Fedora
Core.

A while back I wrote an article on fedoranews.org about installing
JPackage Java on FC4:

http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4

Unfortunately the JPackage java-1.5.0-sun RPM isn't quite in step with
Sun's releases at the moment, so it needs a bit of tweaking. I've done a
preliminary update at http://www.city-fan.org/tips/JpackageJava and will
update fedoranews.org once it's had a bit of testing (any volunteers?).

Paul.