wireless router

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jan 10 14:24:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 00:23, Temlakos wrote:
> LC wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Fedora 4 as a router. How can i add wireless (wifi) feature to
> > it? What equipment do i need?
> >
> > Best regards
> >

> I would imagine that you need an Access Point. But as to how to drive
> one, I can't answer that.

One way (and there are several ways to do this) is to get an access
point (any netgear or linksys will do) connect it to your router on a
dedicated port and setup rules on your router as to where traffic from
the wireless LAN is allowed to go.  The benefit here is that you segment
your wireless connections from your internal network except for what you
allow through.  You can permit wireless access to the Internet if you
want.

I would treat the wireless LAN as an untrusted segment and firewall it
accordingly.

IMHO that is probably the best way to setup wireless access.