Would Firefox 1.5 present in update release repos. of Fedora Core 4 ?

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Tue Jan 10 14:51:42 UTC 2006

Steven Stern wrote:
> Wong Kwok-hon wrote:

>>> As mentioned in various places on the forums [1][2] and mailing list
>>> [3], Firefox 1.5 is in the Rawhide (development) tree, which you have
>>> the option of enabling if you want to help test, debug, and develop
>>> Fedora Core further[4]. (Please note that you should probably not do
>>> this on a production box, as it can potentially be *very* unstable,
>>> though there are those who use it as their primary system.)
>>>
>>> [1] http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=88274
>>> [2] http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=90232
>>> [3] http://redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-December/msg00638.html
>>> [4] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/TestingGuide
>>> --
>>> Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
>>> GnuPG Public Key: 0xDA3634D7
>>

>> So How long would it take in test ?
>>
>> Wong Kwok Hon
>>

> I'll second Greg's suggestion. I unpacked the tarball from
> mozilla.org/firefox into /usr/local and used DESKTOP -> PREFERENCES ->
> MORE PREFERENCES -> PREFERRED APPLICATIONS to change the default browser
> from "firefox" to "/usr/local/firefox/firefox %s". That's all it took.

I'll third it except I install to my home directory and add the manually
installed firefox directory to the front of my $PATH in ~/.bashrc.
Adding to the path allows me to easily run the newer firefox from the
commandline.

A nice thing with installing the tarball from mozilla.org, ignoring the
fact that you can get newer versions, is that you can update your user
installed firefox extensions using the extension update feature.
Extension updates are disabled in the FC RPM version of firefox.  Not
knowing when extensions need updated sure seems like a major security
problem to me just in case one of the extensions have a security issue.