wireless router

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Jan 10 18:12:13 UTC 2006

LC wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Fedora 4 as a router. How can i add wireless (wifi) feature
> to it? What equipment do i need?
>
> Best regards

Many ways to skin the cat, but make sure you have the right cat.
What you mainly need to do, if you're going to use a laptop in this
system, is make sure that the brand/model PCMCIA card is reported to
work well/easily with Linux. And you might as well use the same brand
for all the wireless parts.
The minimum setup is your access point connected to your server and a
wireless modem on the PC that needs to connect to it. You might as well
buy a combo wired/wireless access point.
I bought a Netgear AP and PCMCIA card and this was very easy on both
ends (using madwifi for the card). Start looking for sales on these, no
reason to pay full price.

Greg