old-school

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 10 21:38:24 UTC 2006

Rickey Moore wrote:

> */Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>/* wrote:
>
>     Rickey Moore wrote:
>      >

>     If you want software from a different repository, it is as simple as
>     enabling the repository and getting a list of applications. It is
>     time for you to do some reading up on yum. It is allot different and
>     nicer than the old download, install what will install, download the
>     dependencies and install what will install ......
>
> Sorry, what I failed to mention was that I'm using my roommate's Windoz
> machine for file dnloads and <shudder> yahoo to get email. He's got DSL,
> so we just added a network hub, and since Sprint uses pppoe I'm wildly
> updating to just get the sucker to get the ipadd! ress's and
> nameservers. Then I'm burning all these updates to CD's and transporting
> them physically to my Fedora machine, kinda like all at once! <smile>
> Trouble shooting with a shotgun...
>
> So, that's why I was looking for update instructions for humans to
> read.  I know I'll just love yum once  I get to the net... I updated KDE
> to use the new network manager and some pppoe deamons that I found.
> Uptodate used to make me crazy.  I do love Linux though, and have great
> plans for using it.
>
> Thanx for any considerations, Ric

I would have purchased a router instead of a hub for the network.
Install that between the DSL modem and the computers.  Then you can
have as many computer as you wish.  I don't know about where you are
but here, we have to give the telco the mac address of the network
card to get it authroized by the DHCP server to supply and address.
Yuck.  I have a friend who found this out when his kids came home from
school for summer.  It cost him a fortune to have all the computers
working on the DSL connection.  He got a router and then it didn't
matter how many computers were hooked up.

Also, the router will add some protection to the windows machine.

The default installation of FC4 should have allowed pppoe to work but
I have never tried it.

Old school? roommate? Almost sounds like you are going back to school.

To get the downloads I would use ftp and go to one of the mirror
sites.  This will be quicker in my opion.