up2date vs. yum

J.Moore listreader1 at cullmail.com
Wed Jan 11 04:36:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 22:11 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > The "blinking icon" works just fine.  There's no reason to uninstall
> > it.  You'll probably never catch it blinking if you have the yum
> > nightly update service enabled, but it does accurately detect when you
> > need to install patches.
>
> No, in FC4 it doesn't.  up2date works fine (except with livna), yum works
> fine, but the RHN applet apparently doesn't read the current format for
> repository metadata, so it won't detect when updates are needed.  And
> there doesn't seem to be a way of preventing it from starting on login
> short of removing the RPM.

FWIW, it doesn't work properly in FC3 either... up2date quit working
reliably several months ago, so I began using 'yum update'. The
'blinking icon' stopped working properly about the same time. It mostly
stays blue (meaning no updates available/needed) now, although it will
turn red occasionally *during* the 'yum update' process.

Jay