rsync copying files it doesn't need to

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:37:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 06:04, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > Those aren't files, they're directories; and presumably the directories
> > have changed - eg by creating and then deleting a temporary file in the
> > directory. In that case, rsync will have to update the last modified
> > timestamp on the remote directorry.
>
> Yes, sorry - I meant directories. No, the content of the directories
> doesn't change between consecutive runs of rsync. The time stamp of the
> directories hasn't changed, is 5th December (as reported by ls -l). I
> must be missing something obvious here, surely.

The -a flag will make it try to duplicate the
owner/group/permissions.  Perhaps there is some reason it
can't.  In any case it probably doesn't take much extra time
for this step.  The directory names are exchanged in any
case so the only extra work is sending whatever difference
it is finding and trying to duplicate it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com