Switching from GRUB to NTLDR

Vicki Walsh v_walsh at talk21.com
Wed Jan 11 15:59:18 UTC 2006

  >Let me see if I got what you want.
>You want the NTLDR to load first, and then the grub, right?
>Here goes.

>1. Boot from Linux CD, save the MBR:
 >dd if=/dev/[sh]da of=/linuxboot.dat bs=512 count=1
>2. Reboot using a Windows 9x / DOS floppy/CD. Then:
 >fdisk /mbr
 >From fdisk, make sure you mark the Windows partition as active.
>3. Reboot to Windows, copy the MBR copy (from step 1) to C:
>4. Edit the boot.ini file, append this line to the end of the file:
 >c:\linuxboot.dat="Fedora Core Linux"
>5. Reboot.

  I'm a little confused. Should I be dd'ing the MBR or should I be installing grub on the Linux partition and then dd'ing the bootsector? Also this is on Win2000 using NTFS. Does that have or support fdisk /mbr?

  I already have both windows and fedora installed with Grub running as the bootmanager. Apologies if I am misunderstanding anything in the answers to my mailings as I am still a newbie and dont always understand everything yet.

  Thanks for all the assistance I am receiving so far,

  Vicki