Remote Set Up of Evolution

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jan 11 19:03:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 12:54, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> > > I hate to say I did not think that that, but I didn't.  Sometimes the
> > > answers are just to simple.  Thanks for the note.
> > >
> > > I have not done any remote X program what needs to be set up?
> >
> > There are several ways, but this one doesn't need setup:
> > ssh -Y user at remote_host
> >  log in..
> >  start program by typing it's name
> >  window opens on your desktop
> > This is cross-platform as long as you have X running locally - the
> > free Cygwin version works fine on windows.
> >
> > --
> >   Les Mikesell
> >    lesmikesell at gmail.com
> >

> Les,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to answer such a basic question, but I can
> not thank you enough.  Your syntax was exactly what I needed.  This will
> save so much time...... Thanks again!!!!
>
> Greg

I took that one step further.  I created a script that lives on the
system where evolution runs.  In this script I have:

#!/bin/bash
evolution --force-shutdown
evolution

On the remote system, this case my laptop, that I want to run evolution
remotely from I created a launcher that has in the command line:

ssh -Y user at remotehost /home/username/startevolution

Make sure run in terminal is NOT selected in the launcher.

Then just click on the launcher and you get a nice requester for the ssh
password then it runs the script over the ssh connection.  In this case
it makes sure no other version of evolution is running then it starts
evolution for you.  ssh sends the display window back to your laptop or
remote system.

This comes in handy for many things that you want to run on a remote
system.