NVIDIA driver and DPMS: backlight never switches off

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Jan 11 20:45:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 15:18 -0500, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> I have a Dell D800 with a GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go.  I have DPMS disabled,
> but I decided to try it out.  After enabling, I did this:
>
> sudo xset dpms force off
>
> The LCD turned off.  I moved the mouse, and it came back on.

Thanks for the info Kanwar, that is interesting to know. That doesn't
work for me.

> I've always used my laptops without DPMS, even though I sometimes leave
> it on over night.  In those instances, the screen has blanked, but never
> turned off.  I so far haven't experienced any problems, but then again,
> I'm not leaving it on over night as much as you probably are.
>
> Not sure what else to suggest since it worked for me.  Maybe Xorg isn't
> configured properly?

Yes, perhaps. How did you configure DPMS? What I have is this in my
xorg.conf:

In the "Monitor" section:

        Option "DPMS" "true"

and in the "Device" section:

        Option "DPMS"

(This last bit is apparently required by the NVIDIA driver.)

I am still using version 7676 of the NVIDIA driver because I am stuck on
kernel 2.6.13 (Firewire problems with 2.6.14) and Livna aren't building
driver updates for the old kernels. If you are using the latest 8178
driver maybe I should try building an rpm of it for my kernel from
Livna's src rpm and trying again. Are you using 8178?

Thanks,

Darren