Switching from GRUB to NTLDR

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 21:48:42 UTC 2006

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> What I would like to know is - Why do all that?  If grub is the loader
> and it can load all the other OS'es then why make NTLDR the loader?

Some versions of Windows will, on install or reinstall, over-write boot
loaders they don't recognise. But I've yet to come across one that will
delete menu options in NTLDR. So chaining grub from NTLDR is a
worthwhile way of making sure your capability to boot Linux won't get
clobbered.

On this box, I have grub able to chain NTLDR and NTLDR able to chain
grub. You can go round and round in circles until you get bored. [1]

James.

[1] Yes, that's about 5 seconds.

--
E-mail address: james | Top Tip: If you are being chased by a police dog, don't
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | try to get away by crawling through a tunnel, going