potential update list

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Jan 12 03:20:37 UTC 2006

Michael D. Berger wrote:

>I would like to get a list of the packages that:
>
>1. are installeded my system
>AND
>2. would be updated if I were to run yum update.
>
>Is there a way to do this?

Actually, as I get the full gist of what you're saying, what will be
updated will depend on what's available to be updated and which
repositories you're checking. The bottom line is to just run 'yum
update' to find out -- it will prompt before updating so you're not
committed to anything. If there is something you /don't/ want to update,
then run 'yum update --exclude=not_this_package', entering the name of
the package you don't want to update.

Greg