Suspend to RAM (FC4)

oleksandr korneta mai11ist at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 12 03:26:06 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask, but nevertheless
I'll try. Firstly, consider that I am complete novice in installing
linux on laptops. Actually, this one is the first.

I'm trying to convince my installation of fc4 to work properly on Compaq
Presario v2040us, which is x86_64 based laptop. Currently I stuck at
"suspend to RAM" issue. From all I found googling, it seems that the
main problem to overcome is the restoring the backlit of the screen, and
it can be fixed by passing the parameter acpi_sleep=s3_bios (or
acpi_sleep=s3_mode) to kernel at boot. After that, there goes the
unloading/reloading of kernel modules etc...

That kernel parameter helped me to restore the monitor backlit. But not
more than that. When I wake up the computer Everything I see is the
following message.

Linux!
RS 480M- TEST BIOS 300/14 BR12240

the first line is in yellow :)
The computer shows no reaction on mouse or keyboard. Only immediate
poweroff works (holding power button for 5 sec)

to the best of my knowledge "RS 480M" has something to do with the
motherboard, at least there is such chipset for athlon64.

The only suspicious thing that I recall that I send the laptop  to sleep
with
#echo mem > /sys/power/state

there is the message in console before everything turns off:

acpi interrupt for device 0000:05:09.0 disabled.

I found that:
# /sbin/lspci | grep 05:09.0
05:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller

I tried to sent the system to sleep mode both manually and by using
special script with all this fancy kernel modules reloading and stuff,
but the result is the same...

If anyone here got suspend to RAM working and wants to share the
experience, any help would be appreciated.

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./