Error: Package dlm-kernel needs /lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1653_FC4,

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jan 12 12:54:52 UTC 2006

Graham Bennett wrote:
> I am installing 32-bit FC4 on two different PCs.  One is a new
> Intel-chipped 64 bit Dell Optiplex and uses the smp kernel and
> everything is fine there.   The other is Pentium 4 3.0GHZ and I noticed
> it was defaulting to the smp kernel.    Perhaps by mistake I chose some
> wrong options?   I was following Stanton Finley's notes.  When I came to
> do the NTFS I realised I should not select smp but just i686.   So then
> I switched away from the smp kernel.  I am wondering why I am still at
> 2.6.11-1.1369 as I have run yum update previously
>
> uname gives 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 i686
>
> Anyway to cut a long story short, yum update now gives me this (at the
> end) in either kernel:
> Error: Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Error: Package dlm-kernel needs /lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1653_FC4, this is
> not available.
> Error: Package cman-kernel needs /lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1653_FC4, this is
> not available.
> Error: Package GFS-kernel needs /lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1653_FC4, this is
> not available.
> Error: Package gnbd-kernel needs /lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1653_FC4, this is
> not available.
>
> and Up2date:
> An HTTP error occurred:
>
> Status Code: 404 Error Message: Not Found
>
> Thanks for any assistance to sort out the mess

It looks like you did an "everything" install and have a bunch of kernel
modules that you probably aren't using (if you don't know what
dlm-kernel etc. are, you're probably not using them). Updates for these
modules tend to lag behind the main kernel updates and you get the
problem you are seeing. Easiest fix is just to uninstall those modules:

# yum remove dlm-kernel cman-kernel GFS-kernel gnbd-kernel

Paul.