Ouch!

Rickey Moore wayward4now at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 14:53:34 UTC 2006

"STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT)" <stymar at lucent.com> wrote:  > Robert P. J. Day:
> > i'm not sure i agree.  as a previous poster mentioned, a patent on
> > the long names featurs of FAT has the potential to impact a lot of
> > handheld/digital/personal devices -- PDAs, digital cameras, etc.
>
> Microsoft hoping to rake in more revenue from appliances using *their*
> technology, more than trying to prevent people using it...
>
> Wouldn't such devices be better off with something like UDF, instead
> though?

This raises the question as to exactly what would have to be licensed.
Since the format of a FAT file system has long been documented would
you need a license to read at FAT file system, write a FAT file system,
create a FAT file system, or just have the file system on a device?
Whatever  happened to Caldera's Canopy Group's lawsuit against MS after they  acquired the rights to Digital's DrDOS? There was alot of restraint of  trade issues raised... CP/M used 8.3 file names too... way before DOS.  <cackles> I remember, I used CP/M, I'm that old and crusty.  <cackles> Ric