Switching from GRUB to NTLDR

Vicki Walsh v_walsh at talk21.com
Thu Jan 12 15:41:04 UTC 2006

    Hi All

>Chasecreek Systemhouse <chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com> wrote:

>What I would like to know is - Why do all that? If grub is the loader
>and it can load all the other OS'es then why make NTLDR the loader?

Well thanks for all the attention and information you have given to this thread. A lot of my education for my job comes from reading mailing list archives, so hopefully this will help someone else too in the future.

  Well I successfully made the switch, without destroying anything which I think graduates me from newbie to novice hacker!!! ha ha (yes I'm very proud of myself - when I started this job a couple of months ago I was like "What's an OS?" You could almost hear the other software engineers groaning inwardly).

  Steps I took:

  I reinstalled grub on the Linux partition (though I understand now that this is not necessary)

  Mounted the floppy. mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

  used dd if=/dev/hd(linux partition) of=/mnt/grub.lnx count=1 bs=512

  Using .bin file did not work for me in the NT partition for some reason, though I have seen people use this on their website instructions.

  Rebooted into windows 2000 (since grub was still on the MBR I had no problem with this).

  Copied over the grub.lnx file to c:\

  Added  C:\GRUB.LNX="Fedora Core" to the boot.ini file

  Rebooted which took me first to Grub then when you select Windows 2000 it takes you to the NTLDR screen and from there you can choose Windows 2000 or Fedora Core (the latter will take you back to the GRUB menu).

  Booted from a Win98 boot disk and then typed fdisk /mbr and rebooted. This then took me to the NTLDR menu first with the option to select Fedora, which takes you through to GRUB and back into the circle of options if you want.

  Selected Fedora and in the Linux environment I updated the boot/grub/grub.conf file to remove the windows option and have a 0 timeout.

  Rebooting give the NTLDR menu. When Fedora is selected you see GRUB flash up for a split second and it goes directly into boot Fedora.

  So why did I want to do it? Firstly, thanks for all the responses on why doing this might be useful. I actually did it just for the exercise. I'm trying to do something more complex with removable scsi drives so I wanted to familiarize myself with something a bit easier (though still way beyond my current skill level) before I tackled the more difficult problem. Now I think I understand how to switch GRUB and NTLDR, I think I will be in a better position to work out whether I can use any of this to solve my problem. Expect more questions from me in the near future though!!

  Thanks so much and have a nice day!

  Vicki