Runnning YUM via cron

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Thu Jan 12 16:22:27 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 04:34, Arne Drechsler wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> is it a good idea to have yum run automatically every night ?
> Since it also updates things like sql server and this sometimes
> causes trouble I'm wondering wether it is a good idea. Anybody
> has good/bad experience with it ? Are there solutions to have yum
> run savely and not touch any running things or rewrite configs ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Arne Drechsler

If you've reached the point of recognizing there's a choice I'd
suggest running it manually for some time to watch what happens in
real time.  That way you begin to see how your configuration will
respond to updates.  This will vary on your hardware and software
choices.  Once you see the "rpmnews" and "rpmsaves", the xorg
update bombing out because you have Intel video drivers, or
everything working perfectly all the time you can make a decision
on whether a nightly unattended update is for you.  There is no one
size fits all answer to your question.

Regards, Mike Klinke