Disk troubles (again...)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jan 12 18:10:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 05:05 -0800, Chris Norman wrote:
> The last lot of troubles don't matter, it's just this formatting. I seem to
> have fixed the problem by giving it a msdos disk label and creating a
> partition with parted and now I've used mkfs.ext2 to make an ext2 partition
> on it and it seems to work. How can I get it to mount automatically?
>
> Cheers, and sorry for the last post, I've just been fiddling round with it
> and happened to stumble on the fact that all my other disks had msdos
> labels.

Labels are irrelevant.  You don't need a label.  You do need a partition
table, and you must format the partition.  In a previous post you said
you did "mke2fs /dev/hdb".  That tries to format the device, not the
partition.  "mke2fs /dev/hdb1" would format the partition.

To automount it, create a mountpoint directory somewhere and add a line
to /etc/fstab:

	/dev/hdb1 /your/mountpoint ext2 defaults 0 0

BTW, you probably want to reformat the partition as ext3 (more
reliable), so before you mount it:

	mke2fs -j /dev/hdb1

formats it as ext3.

-    Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent.    -
-   Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child with a  -
-                            loaded handgun.                         -