AMD FX-55 and SLOOOWWW thunderbird.

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 18:47:55 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Mickey Bankhead <mickey at gccsda.com> wrote:
> I have just picked up my new desktop: AMD FX55 processor (the fat gaming
> proc, 64 bit, 2.6GHZ)  with 2GB ram.

Nice.

> I've installed FC4 (32 bit) without incident, and it runs GREAT!  (under

Why 32-bit?  It will run even better in 64-bit mode : ).

> 20 minutes to install)  I then installed thunderbird - (yum).
>
> It runs thunderbird ok, but when downloading, I got only about 1 e-mail
> per 1.5 seconds (3 minutes to download about 120 e-mails (these e-mails
> were mostly TEXT)

This sounds like a network problem, not a program or CPU problem.
What kind of network card do you have?  What is your network setup?
Internet connection?  What about other programs?  Do they perform
better/same/worse?  Internet browsing?

> Is this a 64 bit/ 32 bit problem?

I really doubt it.  With a 32-bit OS, your FX-55 is a 32-bit
processor.  There currently is no 64-bit to talk about.  Something
else is going on.

> Would it help if I install FC4 64 bit?  amd will that limit me on yum
> downloads too much?  I don't know 64 bit stuff much....

Installing FC4 64-bit will probably neither help nor hurt this
problem.  However, why not install it and use your hardware to its
highest potential?  You will not limit yourself on yum downloads.
Most FC4 programs are available as 64-bit versions, but you can also
run 32-bit programs for the few that are not.  64-bit might present a
few issues, but overall, I recommend 64-bit.

Jonathan