AMD FX-55 and SLOOOWWW thunderbird.

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 19:03:10 UTC 2006

Mickey Bankhead wrote:
> I have just picked up my new desktop: AMD FX55 processor (the fat gaming
> proc, 64 bit, 2.6GHZ)  with 2GB ram.
>
> I've installed FC4 (32 bit) without incident, and it runs GREAT!  (under
> 20 minutes to install)  I then installed thunderbird - (yum).
>
> It runs thunderbird ok, but when downloading, I got only about 1 e-mail
> per 1.5 seconds (3 minutes to download about 120 e-mails (these e-mails
> were mostly TEXT)
>
> Is this a 64 bit/ 32 bit problem?

No. Everything is running in 32 bit mode.

Are you using spamassasin? Is it doing network lookups?

> Would it help if I install FC4 64 bit?  amd will that limit me on yum
> downloads too much?  I don't know 64 bit stuff much....

Not much to know, to be honest. You may have a few extra problems if you
want things like flash support or the ability to watch DVDs. (You can
normally get round these by installing the 32 bit programs: it's just
that you do have to work around these problems). But for Open Source
software there's very little difference.

Your system should be faster in 64 bit mode, but I'm not sure you'd see
the difference.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Please do not put sandwiches in the disk drive.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |