SCSI SYM53c8xx synchronous mode?

Steven Ringwald asric at asric.com
Thu Jan 12 19:44:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 14:11 -0500, Jeffrey Ross wrote:

> I found that I could use the following command after the machine is up
> and running:
>
> echo "setsync all 10" > /proc/scsi/sym53c8xx/1
>
> I've since added that line to /etc/rc3.d/S99local
>
> keep in mind the system boots off this controller, controller 0 is
> unused and its a 2 port scsi controller.   There is an IDE controller in
> the machine that handles only the CD-rom drive.
>
> How do I have the kernel automatically put the scsi controller in sync
> mode at boot time, or am I stuck with the line in S99local?

If you can see the thing in sysctl -A, you can set it in sysctl.conf;
this is read, I believe, *way* before S99local...

I am going to guess that it would be:

scsi.sym53c8xx.1="setsync all 10"

or something like that. What I would do is check to see if there are any
sym53c8xx keys in sysctl -A's output, do your echo command (above), and
then check the sysctl output again. If the command is trapped in a key
someplace, then you can easily cut and paste it into sysctl.conf,
reboot, and then verify that everything is properly set by checking
sysctl.conf.

Cheers!
Steve