Kernel Development With 'rpmbuild'

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 11 23:24:42 UTC 2006

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm playing with building my own kernel using an rpm build tree in my
> home directory. I want to be able to make a change to the stock kernel
> and rebuild it using 'rpmbuild'. The kernel is installed there per the
> instructions in
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/errata/#sn-kernel . I
> have copied the config file from my currently running kernel and
> executed 'make oldconfig'.
>
> What are my next steps? I'm guessing that:
>
> now the time to change the config file (using 'make xconfig')?
>
> then rebuild the package? I just want to do this for the smp kernel,
> isn't there an option such as '--arch=smp' I can use? Or will rpmbuild
> build for my arch only by default?

I've attached a script I use to build a kernel with NFTS enabled. Its
input is a standard source rpm and its output a set of Fedora 3 binary rpms.

bs the Mozilla dialogue is a ppaling, simply app paling. I found the
script the easy way and copied the name into the clipboard, then had to
navigate the frigging filesystem again!..

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait