Noisy audio CD with cdrecord

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Jan 13 00:45:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 15:38 -0500, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> On 1/12/06, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear All
> >
> > I am using the command
> >
> > cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom -eject speed=2 -pad -audio *.wav
> >
> > to create an audio CD from wav files, but all I get is a noisy CD,
> > when played. Any ideas?

What is the quality of the .wav files?  If they are not good quality the
noise will certainly be carried onto the CD.

> The file format for Audio CD files is .au not wav

I don't think so!  The actual file on the CD is a .cda file, but the
native version is a .wav.

.au files are not the native version of CD audio AFAIK.  The .au format
is not also not native to windows, but is native to *nix.

Feel free to point me to a documented source that says otherwise.