new fedora desktop box

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 13 01:38:23 UTC 2006

Jon Shorie wrote:
> I am going to be setting up a new fedora desktop box and want to be able to
> run 2 monitors on it.  I am leaning toward the following:
>
> Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
> Qty:    1
>
> MSI NX6200TC-TD128ELF Geforce 6200TC 128MB 32-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video
> Card - Retail
> Qty:    2

Not a great idea, firstly, I'm not even sure whether the 6200 series CAN
be used in SLI mode, it was my  understanding it was only the 6600 +
series which could, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Even if I'm wrong though, I believe these turbo cache cards bite the big
one. From memory, these cards only have 32Mb frame buffer memory and
suck the rest out of your system. So you have 64Mb "Real" so to speak
and a combined 192Mb it could suck out of your system in 3D mode.

So from a memory resource stance and the memory bandwidth that will be
sucked up by these in 3D mode, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot
bargepole.

I've never understood the manufacturer's standpoint on these things.
Just to save a few $$$ again? I put these in the same category as soft
modems.

We go out to buy a DEDICATED card. Presumably because the integrated
stuff isn't cutting the mustard, only to find it isn't really all that
dedicated. It should probably be called a "not even half dedicated"
graphics card.

Other than that I like your other choices.

Regards,
Ed.