Firewall configurations

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 13 02:20:03 UTC 2006

RGKärcher wrote:
> hi guys ,
>
> I want to ask you , about the Iptables configurations
>
> When I run nmap ,it says me that I have an specific
> port open ...
>
> When I do a web test of open port at
> http://scan.sygatetech.com/prequickscan.html
>
> Its says me another ports open or closed ....
>
> when I run netstat it says me another completely
> different thing ...
>
> I dont know what to trust ...
>
> for example I want to close the udp port 111 and icmp
> 8 . Can I do this for example in the terminal :
>
>  ./iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 111 -j DROP
>
> and the port will automatically be closed ?
>
> or should I restart the machine ?
>
> thanks in advance ,
>
> richard karcher

A lot depend on how you are connected to the internet, and unfortunately
you do not mention this.

You also do not mention your iptables rules either.

In theory the line you mention above should work without restarting the
PC (and dropping the ./ if you're not in the /sbin folder).

However this can depend so much on your other rules I cannot say it will.

How about you give us more information?

Regards,
Ed.