(no subject)

oleksandr korneta mai11ist at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 13 05:02:48 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have 2 hard drives in my box with linux and windows on hda and hdb
respectfully. My grub is on mbr of hda. And windows loader is on mbr of
hdb. I can boot with no problems into windows when I set hdb to be
master drive. However when I try to boot into windows from current
configuration the only message I get is

chainloader +1

which is the string from the grub.conf
Nothing more happens.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.14-1.1637_FC4)
         root (hd0,0)
#       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/1 vga=792
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/1
         initrd /initrd-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4.img
title w2k
         rootnoverify (hd1,0)
         chainloader +1

# end of grub.conf

and here is the content of my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=3
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect

I tried to change the partition number  here from 0 to 1to tell the OS
that it is actually on the slave drive.

I suspect that for some reason windows does not like to have its
bootloader on a slave drive. This is just a pure guess (assuming that
everything I've done is ok). But if it is true, is there any workaround
or do I have to replace my grub with ntldr like the fellow couple
threads above?

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./