How copy /usr contents to a new partition?

Parameshwara Bhat peebhat at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 07:50:46 UTC 2006

Hello List,

I want to copy /usr to a new partition and then attach that at /usr. I
issued a command

	cp -options(recursive included) /usr /mnt/"mountpoint

This resulted in the creation of a new "usr" directory under
/mnt/"mountpoint"/usr and contents of /usr went into sub-directories. What
I want is to copy all the subdirectories and files directly under /usr to
go at /mnt/"mountpoint" for obvious reasons. How do I do that? "Man cp"
did not give me any clue.

Also, is there a command which compares each file under two directory
trees for difference.(I want to verify after the above operation)

Thanks,

Parameshwara Bhat