Fedora Core 4 CPU usage high with VLC

Rickey Moore wayward4now at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 13:37:24 UTC 2006

Muralidhar Ganga <murali at tzti.com> wrote:

Surprisingly, when I installed Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 on the
same hardware, the CPU usage is only 3 %.
Back when, OSS was a nice simple sound system, it used little resources.

  Today (open a terminal window and enter the command "top") I'm seeing  artsd eating up as much as 85% of the cpu, which I have to assume is  one whopping misconfiguration problem, on my end, after updating arts.  So, it's off to documentation land, as 'rpm -e arts' says half the  KDE/Gnome system depends on the b*stard. I really miss Hannu at times  like this. His stuff worked out of the box.

  Needless to say, I can't even play 'Hunt The Wumpus' without a core meltdown, and I dearly love my games. ;)   Ric