/ (root) partition full

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Fri Jan 13 14:21:16 UTC 2006

Gordon R. Keehn wrote:
> Hi, Anyone
>    Before we left for the Christmas holiday, I powered down my FC4 box.
>  (My wife is paranoid that way.)  KDiskFree showed my root partition a
> bit over 50% full.  Within hours of starting it up again a few days ago,
> it was pushing 100%, and I haven't been able to find the culprit.

Try:

cd /var
du -ks *|sort -n

for a start.

Check the logfiles in /var/log for any interesting entries.

This will give you the size of each folder in /var, sorted
according to size.

If this doesn't give you anything, try /lib,
/opt, /tmp, /usr, /etc etc.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk