Installing Firefox 1.5 under FC3/FC4

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro jcastro at instant.com.br
Fri Jan 13 14:56:59 UTC 2006

(Please CC me as I have mail delivery disabled from this list)

I wish there was a FF1.5 RPM other than the one in Rawhide.. that one
depends on so much new stuff it isn't even funny. I got it to run in an
slightly more gentlemanly way than /usr/local:

- I downloaded and untarred the tgz from Mozilla.org;
- I renamed the unpacked directory from <where-I-unterred>/firefox to
/usr/lib/firefox-1.5
- I edited the /usr/bin/firefox script and changed the MOZ_DIST_BIN
variable to "/usr/lib/firefox-1.5"
- I ran it once as root, so it completes some chrome registry thingy

All the Fedora perks work now -- default icon, browser selection, GNOME
associations etc.

If there's a better way, please advise.