MAC --> IP address?

valentin antonescu valduboisvert at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 15:57:39 UTC 2006

Awkard but doable. You need to record your MAC address
somewhere. The script can then make a list with the
machines in your network somehow (like broadcast
pinging your net) and then arping each of them to find
out which one has the desired MAC. But it is a very
strange solution.

 A laptop should get its ip address from a dhcp, cause
you want to be able to connect it on different sites
(work, home, conference, etc). Thus the ideea of
having a static ip doesn't sound good either. Somebody
said assign a static ip from dhcp, based on the MAC
your laptop has. This sounds like a good solution and
the one I'm using it actually on my laptop. However,
you said your access point doesn't support this
option. Are you sure? There should be a way to
configure that, like a cli or even a http interface.
Did you check the configuration options you have?
  In case that as strange it may sound you don't have
this option, then I think I'd just install a dhcp
server on my linux box. At least this is the solution
I can think of right now.

 regards,
  Val