Toshiba Satellite A60S1591 - shutting down

Rickey Moore wayward4now at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 15:45:12 UTC 2006

Luis Uebel <lfu20 at hotmail.com> wrote:  I have a serious problem with my notebook (Toshiba Satellite A60S1591). My
computer
has 512 Mbytes of RAM and a HDD of 60 Gbytes that was installed FC3.
After a couple of minute running FC3, computer shuts down (usually 20
minutes).
I don't have same problem with Windows that can run several hours without a
hit.
Processor overheats, it really burns when I run Fedora. It is very hot my
computer near of
turn on/off botton, bellow TOSHIBA logo. Apparently, fans are working
without problem.
Any help is welcome.
This might sound nuts, but top showed artsd eating up 85% of my cpu.
  I've been looking into the problem, and found notes to the effect that  if your sound setup has the soundcard running full-duplex, that will be  the result. Run it half duplex to solve the problem... I've found a  util called 'kickarts' which promises to disable arts in some sensible  fashion (?) I'm gonna give that a whirl. My machine has been slower  than heck... and artsd and kicker have been hogs. My old 486 with 16  megs of memory ran faster with 20 users. <cackles> Shutting down  unneeded drivers is gonna be my next project. Being out of it for 5  years has been a real RipVanWinkle experience! Ric