Toshiba Satellite A60S1591 - shutting down

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Jan 13 17:13:35 UTC 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Luis Uebel wrote:

> I have a serious problem with my notebook (Toshiba Satellite A60S1591). My
> computer
> has 512 Mbytes of RAM and a HDD of 60 Gbytes that was installed FC3.
> After a couple of minute running FC3, computer shuts down (usually 20
> minutes).
> I don't have same problem with Windows that can run several hours without a
> hit.
> Processor overheats, it really burns when I run Fedora. It is very hot my
> computer near of
> turn on/off botton, bellow TOSHIBA logo. Apparently, fans are working
> without problem.
> Any help is welcome.

Sounds like a power management issue.  I used to see that in the early
days of Fedora, but not any more.  (Don't remember when it got fixed.)

I would suggest two things.

1) Update to FC4 if you can.  This will probably fix the cpu speed issue.

2) Run memtest86 from memtest86.com on it and see if your ram is unstable.
Windows may not be pushing it hard enough, but your high cpu/heat issue
is.

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."