Hardware/software/OS upgrade: One approach?

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Fri Jan 13 22:51:40 UTC 2006

fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote:

> As I was saying, if you had the list and after a basic install, you
> could pipe the list into yum and go from there.  You would have to
> strip the version info from the list.  For example, yum-2.4.1-1.fc4
> would have to be changed to just yum.
>
> I don't know if it would work
>
>    yum -y < list.txt

It's worth a shot, certainly.  I've got the pre-upgrade list now; I can diff
the two files and strip out the unnecessary columns/versions.  In fact, the
'yum shell [filename]' syntax will allow me to install from such a file.
The input file should be like:

	install package1
	install package2
	update pack*

And each command will be fed into yum.  It's something to try.  Right now,
I'm going over the original list to see what of the 1600 installed packages
I don't need to bring forward, and which of them will require me to bring
over old config files.

 -Don