(no subject)

oleksandr korneta mai11ist at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 14 21:49:03 UTC 2006

on 01/13/2006 03:22 AM James Wilkinson wrote:

> Do you have a fedora rescue CD? Can you use it? If not, I'd recommend
not right now. But it is not a problem to download it.

> leaving well alone. Get Fedora booting from NTLDR, and don't muck about
> with your boot sector. Otherwise you might not be able to get into
> either operating system.
The point of all this was to get rid of ntldr being on hda where linux
is installed.

> NT (and I'm including Win2K and XP) doesn't like having it's boot
> partition mucked about with. I suspect you could get it as far as
> beginning to load, probably as far as the second screen -- the one with
> the big Win2K logo. But you'd then run into problems once it had loaded
> all its drivers and tried to switch to protected mode disk access. While
> running, it doesn't get its idea of the location of the WINNT directory
> from the boot loader: it stores it internally.

whatever you say, nothing bad happened. The solution proposed above
worked fine for me.

> So I'd leave hdb as the master.
>
> Unless you've edited /etc/fstab or /boot/grub/*, Fedora should Just Work
> once you've got it to boot. So it shouldn't worry if its /dev/hda has
> suddenly become a /dev/hdb.

I afford myself to disagree with you here. I happened once to install
fedora on /dev/hdb, and then physically made it /dev/hda... Everything
was messed up, I had to reinstall the system (just because I didn't have
any other machine close to me to get alternative solution)

> What you should be able to do is use the rescue CD to put grub into the
> MBR of Windows' disk.
> grub-install /dev/hda
> *Not* /dev/hda1, that's where NTLDR goes.
Once again: I had this configuration in the beginning. The whole point
was to make different system physically independent of each other, even
of small components.

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./