Multiple sound

Nguyen Danh Hieu ndh.21march at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 00:25:57 UTC 2006

I am sorry for my " not stated question" but I don't really understand your
anwser. I"ll try to express out my problems with my poor English. Each time
when I play  sound, for example, listen to music, If suddenly some
application alerts me so soundcard is blocked and I cannot play sound
anymore. Or It's is impossible to play xmms and mplayer at the same time
etc...
It needed multi-chanel sound. As I use now in FreeBSD virtual chanel sound,
separate sound streams are mixed in kernel and we hear all them at /dev/dsp.
I just want to know can we do something likeable in Linux or not.
Thank you.

2006/1/14, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:

> On Saturday 14 January 2006 14:29, Nguyen Danh Hieu wrote:
> >Hello
> >Do somebody know how to make multiple sound in FC 4?
>
> This isn't what I'd call a well stated question.  If you are asking how
> to do two seperate sound streams, that can be pretty much impossible
> without 2 actual, seperate sound facilities installed in the system.
>
> Here as a example, I have an SBLive Audigy 2 setup as the main audio for
> general uses and it works great even for playing .mid stuffs.  Tvtime,
> xmms and the rest of the systems noisemakers work through it.
>
> But the motherboards audio, a snd-intel8x0 compatible buried in an
> nforce2 chipset on this old biostar board, is also alive and well and I
> use it with skype.
>
> However most of the tools for controlling it are somewhat limited, and
> the only one size fits all mixer I was able to find that works for both
> audio paths is 'kamix' which displays all options and gain sliders for
> both circuits simultainiously on screen, a huge screen obviously.
>
> The linux version of skype blindly assumes that its grabbing and sending
> anything that comes out of /dev/mixer, not exactly what you would want.
> Nobody will call you up just to listen to your music selections.
>
> The answer there is a utility that functions as a launcher for skype,
> hijacking the right devices and handing them to skype.  This is called
> 'skype_dsp_hijacker'.  This then makes skype send the audio
> from /dev/mixer1 and listen to /dev/dsp1, isolating it from the ogg or
> mp3 you might have playing through the speakers.
>
> I use kde here, so I made an icon which executes
> "skype_dsp_hijacker --2nd"
> without the quotes, which sets up skype and launches it.
>
> Support requirements in the alsa category include alsalib-1.0.11rc2,
> which is pretty new and you may have to use the --force option to put
> it into an older system.  I did here, and have had no problems.  The
> problem I had on this old FC2 system was that the alsa-libs-devel was
> 1.0.3-2 and I couldn't find a newer package for that, so the
> sledgehammer approach was used instead.
>
> I hope the language differences don't mangle the meanings and that this
> is helpfull.  My russian is non-existant & I'm too old at 71 to learn
> any new languages now.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should add the word
> 'online' between the 'verizon', and the dot which bypasses vz's
> stupid bounce rules.  I do use spamassassin too. :-)
> Yahoo.com and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
> message by Gene Heskett are:
> Copyright 2005 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.
>
> --

Nguyen Danh Hieu

Physics Faculty
Moscow State University