looping sound in aRts builder

Fulko Hew fhew3 at cogeco.ca
Sun Jan 15 01:15:09 UTC 2006

I recently upgraded my laptop from FC3 to FC4 and I've encountered
a few problems/changes from the previous version that annoy me, and
I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

For the record... I'm using KDE.

Problem #3

The other day I was using aRts Builder and I had it playing
some sounds.  All of a sudden, it started looping the sound
(say every .2 to .5 seconds.  Its hard to judge that accurately.)

Stopping, or killing aRts builder, stopped the sound, but not
the symptom.  ie. when I ran aRts builder, the looping would
start again.

I then ran xmms to play something, and it took a number of
presses of the 'play' button, before it actually played anything.
I stopped xmms, and restarted arts builder, but it immediately
started looping again.

Logging out of KDE, and logging back in 'unlocked' the problem.

Any ideas?

TIA
Fulko