windows on hdb does not boot

oleksandr korneta mai11ist at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 15 05:32:54 UTC 2006

on 01/14/2006 10:17 PM Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 16:49 -0500, oleksandr korneta wrote:
>> I happened once to install fedora on /dev/hdb, and then physically
>> made it /dev/hda... Everything was messed up, I had to reinstall the
>> system (just because I didn't have any other machine close to me to
>> get alternative solution)
>
> That's really not necessary, you could have saved yourself a lot of
> effort.
>
> You'd have had to reconfigure GRUB to use the right drive, and
> reconfigure /etc/fstab so that your mount points refer to the right
> drives and partitions, but the software installed on your system doesn't
> care which drive it's on (hda, sda, etc.), it's only important where
> it's mounted (/usr/bin/ etc.).  Both reconfigurations are easy enough to
> do.

hm... I reconfigured grub but didnt think about fstab, therefore when it
started complaining about some critical stuff missing, because it was
looking for it in a wrong place, I just reinstalled it. Anyway, this was
a long time ago, thus it is not that important anymore. But thanks for
the hint, it might be helpful later.

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./