Free phys. memory estimate.

Jonathan Underwood j.underwood at open.ac.uk
Sun Jan 15 13:08:47 UTC 2006

Michael Green wrote:
> How one can tell how much precisely physical memory is free on a given system.

You can either look at /proc/meminfo (cat /proc/meminfo), or use the
tool "top". Note though at any given time, you'll probably see that
nearly all of your physical is used, as the kernel, roughly speaking,
uses any spare memory for caching data from the disk. Perhaps
(Memtotal-Cached) is an estimate of your actual used memory by running
processes (others may correct me here).

> Another question is how a group of users can be limited in terms of memory.
> I have a system here that's starved by IO and I want ot prevent users
> jobs allocating big chunks of swap. say if I have a Linux system with
> 2G of RAM and 4G of swap is it possible to allocate to a _group_ of
> users 1700M only?

Here I think you could look at man ulimit. This allows you to limit the
resources available to each process. I guess you could sort of do what
you want by limiting things like limiting a processes data segment
(ulimit -d), maximum size that may be locked into memory (ulimit -l),
the maximum stack size (ulimit -s), and the maximum amount of virtual
memory (swap) available to the shell (ulimit -v). I'm not entirely sure
how this could help you set limits for a group, though.

HTH
Jonathan