vi with unicode character

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 15 15:13:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 14:04 +0100, Michael Brandt wrote:Hi,
> 2006/1/14, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com>:
> >
> > Well, what is the way of entering a character by unicode number?>
>
> When using GNOME you can produce any unicode character in the following way:
>
> 1. hold down shift and ctrl
> 2. type unicode-sequence, e.g. "00FC" for "ü"
> 3. release shift and ctrl
>
> This method is even a standard (ISO 14755)
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/volatile/ISO-14755.pdf

Thanks for the tip. I keep forgetting how to do that. One remark: this
method does not work in Evolution on FC4. Try doing shift-ctrl-OOFC in
Evolution and you will get a find/replace dialog. Would be nice if it
worked in Evolution too (ideas welcome :).

Regards,
Patrick