Change permissions on /dev file?

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Sun Jan 15 16:05:56 UTC 2006

Toralf Lund wrote:

>>> Right. I haven't quite got used to this new(ish) udev stuff... Seems
>>> to me now it must be the place for the setting I want, but the
>>> location you mention can't be correct for my system, as /etc/udev
>>> has no permissions.d.
>>>
>> Look to /etc/udev/rules.d
>> HTH
>

> I think I should be able to define an appropriate rule for my unit,
> but I'm surprised to find that the udev doc does not mention a key
> containing the device type or vendor/product id (as reported e.g. in
> /proc/scsi/scsi.) Is there really now way to do direct match on those?

Actually, it may look like SYSFS{type} will give me what I want (for
device type.) I now have added

KERNEL=="sg0", BUS=="scsi", SYSFS{type}=="6", SYMLINK="scanner", MODE="0666"

which quite definitely has an effect, but not the one I want. In fact
after I did this, the device is still owned by root and accessible by
nobody else (i.e. has mode 0600.) Then if a user logs in via a local
GNOME session, owner is changed to that user, and the mode stays the
same. This is the same kind of behaviour as for CD-ROM, but is not right
in this case, as I want to share the scanner across the net (via saned
or just startup of the scanner software via ssh.) In fact, I'm not happy
with the general trend of assuming the desktop user "owns" everything,
as to me, flexibility in sharing resources is a very large part of what
Linux is or should be about.

Anyhow, how do I get udev to actually use the mode I've told it to use???

- Toralf