vi with unicode character

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Jan 15 17:19:35 UTC 2006

Hi;  Yes, Thanks for the tip.  See below

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 16:13 +0100, Patrick wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 14:04 +0100, Michael Brandt wrote:Hi,
> > 2006/1/14, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com>:
> > >
> > > Well, what is the way of entering a character by unicode number?>
> >
> > When using GNOME you can produce any unicode character in the following way:
> >
> > 1. hold down shift and ctrl
> > 2. type unicode-sequence, e.g. "00FC" for "ü"
> > 3. release shift and ctrl
> >
> > This method is even a standard (ISO 14755)
> > http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/volatile/ISO-14755.pdf
>
> Thanks for the tip. I keep forgetting how to do that. One remark: this
> method does not work in Evolution on FC4. Try doing shift-ctrl-OOFC in
> Evolution and you will get a find/replace dialog. Would be nice if it
> worked in Evolution too (ideas welcome :).
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

Re: Patrick's suggestion.

I think that something like shift-ctrl-00xx for unicode characters is
such a fundemental idea that it should be implemented at the
distrubution, Linux or kernel level, not just the desktop.

Since unicode rather than ASCII has become the universal character
set(s) a user should have access to unicode characters whatever program
he is using, for basic text editors, composers, LaTex, progamming
(commnts), spreadsheets, networks, web etc. etc.  Being able to use
specific reserved accelerator(s) + internationally assigned code numbers
means there is at least one universal access to characters no matter the
circumstances or status or runlevel of a computer.  I.E. add one more
escape code to the escape code list.

Regards Bill